3/15/2011

WAHMlight: the Lily and Sparrow

March's WAHMlight is a wee bit belated, I apologize. The way I reconcile this tardiness, if the Ides of March can be notable for Caesar, it can be notable for IBB as well (although let's hope it is far, far less dramatic for IBB). 


Without further delay, I am very pleased to introduce you to the Lily & Sparrow and the amazing WAHM behind L&S - Anna. I had the pleasure of meeting Anna just before Christmas, and we quickly realized that we have a lot in common, including the fact that both our resumes read 'WAHM.' So far our interactions have only been online, although I can tell that if (no, when! right Anna?) we'd be lifelong friends. Bosom buddies, really (an appropriate use of the term, wait for it....).

IBB will be stocking two items from the Lily & Sparrow: Nursing Covers and All-in-Ones (no ladies, get your mind out of the diaper drawer, these AIOs are like something you've never seen!). 

I have been using an tL&S Luxe Nursing Cover since December, and I am thoroughly in love. I even took it on a vacation as a thank you for its dedication and hard work, keeping both me and my wiggly toddler under cover.
San Juan

Exploring the waters of Aruba in a semi-submersible - did you know the color red doesn't exist anywhere more than 10' down? Day-glo pink, on the other hand, is far more hearty. 

Familiar with the term Renaissance Woman? Isabella d'Este was one. And I'd like to note Anna is one as well. In addition to the Lily & Sparrow product line, Anna also maintains a diaper review website, Haute Clothed Buns. I highly recommend taking a look! You can also say in touch with the latest and greatest from the Lily & Sparrow at the brand's website. This will be the place to watch for product previews and news before it hits the IBB virtual shelves. 

Enjoy!



Beautiful Designs For Mamas And Their Chicks


Itsy Bitsy Bums: Tell us about yourself - your family, your likes, your dislikes. 
the Lily & Sparrow: I am a West Coast girl!  I was born in Oregon, and grew up in California and Washington.  I returned to Oregon for college and will probably always consider the Great Northwest "home."  It was at college that I fell in love and married my fabulous husband (he was my first boyfriend ever--how cool is that!).  We have been married for 8 years and have two adorable little girls, whom I absolutely delight in and treasure whole-heartedly!  My husband is a contractor with the US Air Force and we currently live in Germany, which I love!

I love art, photography, writing, Paris  and Thai food.  I dislike the cold, saying goodbye at the airport, and moving.  I am a procrastinator and function best with a deadline hanging over me.  The worst grade I got in college was when I decided to plan ahead and wrote the paper days before it was due!  I love doing cloth diaper laundry and hate the way disposables smell.  I like to vacuum but dislike dusting :)  I prefer tea (Earl Grey is a fav) to coffee, but occasionally do enjoy a good latte.

IBB: Where do you get inspiration for the designs you offer?
tL&S: I like the things I make to be reflections of the things I value--the marriage of function & form, beauty, intimate moments with baby, etc.  When I first started making the covers, I felt like they were practical and functional--but not necessarily pretty.  Sure the fabric was pretty, but basically they looked like a pretty piece of fabric used to hide the fact that mama's were nursing.
I believe that breastfeeding is beautiful, natural and beneficial for mama and baby.  I wanted my covers to reflect the beauty of breastfeeding and to both celebrate and protect the intimacy that happens when mothers breastfeed their precious little ones.  One of my favorite baby tops had box pleats at the top and I started thinking about how box pleating the nursing covers would do two things:
1) It would cut down on the excess fabric at the top of the cover while still providing ample coverage at the chest.






2.) It would turn the cover from a simple square of fabric with a neck strap to a fashion accessory.  Something pretty that moms could enjoy wearing that didn't make them feel like they were hiding something.
So, I started pleating my covers and it has been a hit!  Every mama who has ordered a pleated cover from me and returned to buy another for a friend has purchased a pleated one.

In regard to the All In One covers, I just got tired of carying 50,000 things in my diaper bag--diapers, wipes, change of clothes, nursing cover, blanket, rain protector for the stroller, etc.  One day, I decided that there had to be a way to make my nursing cover multi-task.  That night as I laid in bed, unable to sleep I came up with a design--a reversible blanket that had a hidden pocket for boning, removable neckstrap, clip ties that could be positioned wherever I needed them (not just in the center) and voila!  I tried it out the next day and discovered it could be a blanket, nursing cover, car seat canopy cover, stroller cover,  and more :)

IBB: When did you start making nursing covers? 
tL&S: I started making nursing covers 2 years ago.  I had offered to buy my friend one as a shower gift, and after looking at 50+ on the internet, she didn't see a pattern she liked, so I offered to sew one for her.  She ended up choosing a Pottery Barn bed sheet as the material--and it turned out to be a really cute cover!  Her friend liked it so much, she asked me to make one, and one thing led to another and here I am 200+ covers later!
  

IBB: What is your favorite part about being a WAHM? 
tL&S: I love that I can earn a little bit of fun money and be able to stay at home and enjoy my girlies!  I also love that it gives me a creative outlet--and pays for it.  How else could I afford to buy so many yards of beautiful fabric?

IBB: What is your favorite fabric currently stocked at IBB? 
tL&S: All of it.  That's a tough one!  I'm not sure I can narrow it down to just one.  For the pleated nursing covers, probably "Flora & Fauna."  For the All-In-One covers, probably "Pet Deer"  but then "Autumn Faeries" is an absolutely gorgeous fabric--the colors are so vibrant!










IBB: Anything else we should know? 
tL&S: Faith is an important aspect of my life.  The name, "Lily & Sparrow," was chosen because it is a symbolic reminder to me that God will take care of me and my family :)  




Now that you know more about Anna, take a minute to check out her lovely creations - Nursing Covers and All-in-Ones. All items will stock Thursday evening, 3/17, at 7pm CST.

This month's giveaway is one of Anna's Simply Coverage All-in-Ones + the Conversion Kit + a matching burp cloth! I love the fabric - so sweet, completely gender-neutral, lovely! 



LOTS of ways to enter this giveaway!
Be sure to comment on this post, leaving one comment for each entry (those who make a purchase or two - comment the relevant number of times - ie. 1 Luxe cover = 6 entries). Please leave your email address with your comment(s) (I recommend a format spambots cannot farm - with spaces or 'AT' in place of '@' - etc). 

Winner will be drawn April 15th. 

33 comments:

  1. I am a fan of IBB on facebook!
    My email address is:
    cshmahoney (AT) gmail (DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of tL&S on facebook!
    My email address is:
    cshmahoney (AT) gmail (DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of Hot Clothed Buns on facebook!
    My email address is:
    cshmahoney (AT) gmail (DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am signed up for the IBB newsletter!
    My email address is:
    cshmahoney (AT) gmail (DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tL&S Simply Coverage All-in-One + Coverage Kit in the Sanctuary print! So pretty and classic!
    My email address is:
    cshmahoney (AT) gmail (DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like IBB on Facebook
    sjacobson223 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Lily & Sparrow on FB

    sjacobson223 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow Bitsy Buzz

    sjacobson223 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Haute Clothes Buns on FB

    sjacobson223 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Her AIOs sound amazing and the Hope Springs print looks beautiful. (Cherish cherries looks cute too)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a fan of IBB on FB!

    fxfire at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I 'like' Lily & Sparrow on FB!

    fxfire at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I 'like' Haute Clothed Buns on FB!

    fxfire at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a follower of Bitsy Buzz!

    fxfire at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I get the newsletter for Bitsy Buzz!

    fxfire at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in love with the Anaya nursing cover! It's so beautiful! The Eden AIO is gorgeous too!

    fxfire at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a fan of IBB on facebook!
    My email address is:
    cgordon625 (AT) gmail (DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a fan of the L&S on facebook!
    My email address is:
    cgordon625 (AT) gmail (DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a fan of Haute Clothed Buns on facebook!
    My email address is:
    cgordon625 (AT) gmail (DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Charlotte pattern in the Luxe nursing cover is my favorite.
    My email address is:
    cgordon625 (AT) gmail (DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I follow Bitsy Buzz.
    My email address is:
    cgordon625 (AT) gmail (DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the Spotted Guitars fabric and think the AIO sounds like a great tool. Email: margarine2002(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like IBB on Facebook! Email: margarine2002(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I liked Haute Clothed Buns on Facebook. Email: margarine2002(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I liked The Lily and Sparrow on Facebook. Email: margarine2002(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am also a follower of Bitsy Buzz! Email: margarine2002(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. i "like" IBB on facebook

    mssalwilson AT yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. i "like" the lily & sparrow on fb


    mssalwilson AT yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. i "like" haute clothed bums on fb


    mssalwilson AT yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. i'm a follower of bitsy buzz


    mssalwilson AT yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. i get IBB's newsletter


    mssalwilson AT yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. i love the superman all-in-one!


    mssalwilson AT yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. The All-in-Ones? Genius. I like the Eden print.

    juliedianebaker at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete